BITS PilaniBirla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, Rajasthan, India (popularly known as 'BITS Pilani') is one of the oldest and leading technology schools (along with IITs) of India. In addition to Pilani, BITS has campuses in Dubai, United Arab Emirates and Goa, India, an extension centre in Bangalore, India, and a fourth campus under construction in Hyderabad. The institute is privately supported, fully residential, and admits both male and female students. It was founded by Shri Ghanshyam Das Birla in 1929 as small school for the education of his children.
During World War II, the Government of India established a technical training centre at Pilani for the supply of technicians for defense services and industry.
At the end of the war, in 1946, it was converted it into the Birla Engineering College with degree programmes in electrical and mechanical engineering.In 1964, the Birla Colleges of Arts, Commerce, Engineering, Pharmacy and Science were merged to form the Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS). In this period of inception (especially during 1964-1970), BITS Pilani received support from the Ford Foundation and benefited from an alliance with the MIT.
BITS Pilani started to expand in India and abroad since 2000. New campuses were established in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (2000) and Goa, India (2004), and a fourth campus is to be opened in 2007 at Jawaharnagar (near Hakimpet Air Force station), Hyderabad. BITS also runs a virtual university and an extension centre in Bangalore
Pilani Campus* 328 acre (1.3 km²)[ This is the area under BITS. The total area of the Vidya Vihar campus , which houses several other smaller facilities - some of them under the Birla Education Trust- encompasses an area of over 1000 acres )
* Museum - This is a Science Museum of its kind in India. Having various Science experiements and live demonstration of that. * Saraswati Mandir
* An excellent library
* Shiv Ganga
* Sky Lawns
* Boys Cricket Team
* Gliding Club( Now inoperational )
* Students Activity Centre.
* Information Processiong Centre (IPC)
* C'not Shopping Area
Goa Campus* Located on the banks of Zuari river, about 5 km from the airport.
* Spread over 188 acres of land owned by the Zuari industries.
* Newly constructed hostels for students.
* An air conditioned auditorium with seating capacity of 2200.
* Air-conditioned classrooms and lecture halls.
* A huge library.
* Student activity centre.
* Shopping complex including a cafetaria.
Dubai Campus* Currently located in Dubai Knowledge Village.
* Currently has over 900 students on its rolls.
* The largest IEEE, Students Section in the U.A.E
* Started with just 2 programmes but currently has 5 programmes comprising of
--B.E.(Hons.) Mechanical Engineering
--B.E.(Hons.) Computer Science
--B.E.(Hons.) Electrical and Electronics Engineering
--B.E.(Hons.) Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering
--B.E.(Hons.) Chemical Engineering
for more information about login to www.bits-pilani.ac.in
• Applied Mechanics
• Aircraft Maintenance
• Bio Engineering
• Computer Science
• Computer Engineering
• Dairy Technology
• Engineering Management
• Food Technology
• Leather Technology
• Manufacturing Science
• Oil Technology
• Rubber Technology
• Structural Engineering
• Silk Technology
• Sugar Technology
• Water management